11 February 2010

Peripety? What the heck does that mean?

According to Dictionary.com the definition of peripety is a sudden turn of events or an unexpected reversal (especially in a literary work).   I came across this word during a Beth Moore Bible study (Esther) video that I saw the other morning.  In all my 36 years here on this earth I have never heard of this word (but I bet there are plenty of words that I've never heard before...).  Side note: this strange sounding word makes me want to sing "Parumpapapum"!


I thought it was interesting to hear Beth Moore- in all her southern glorious accent talk about most people not being able to recognize a divine peripety in their own lives!  I, on the other hand, was immediately drawn to the event of all events that completely reversed the path I was headed down!  The event in question occurred back in August 2004 and I would have to pinpoint it right down to hearing these words uttered to me, "I can't find the baby's heartbeat".  That hinge in my life was like getting smacked in the face by a swinging door- stunning and  shocking!  But if I had never miscarried, the event leading up to my suicide attempt, then my divorce, and finally my surrender to God would not have turned me around!  You see, I wasn't really walking down the path God chose for me, I was creating my own path, stubborn as I was, finding myself unfulfilled in a Godless marriage and dancing with the devil.

Today I see things differently... it was then that I was lost, blind, mute, and deaf.  Today I have abundant life flowing through me.  A life filled with Christ, living for Him and not for myself.  


My favorite Scripture verse is Jeremiah 29:11 - 


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


What at first appeared to me as "harm" actually became hope, His hope and a future to be in heaven with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment